Next week, ThoughtWorks and The Churchill Club is organizing a live panel about Internet freedom and the implications of the recent WikiLeaks events. This is going to be a world class event with very engaging speakers, and it will also be streamed live if you can’t attend in person. Daniel Ellsberg, Peter Thiel, Clay Shirky, Jonathan Zittrain and Roy Singham will discuss various important subjects touching on the WikiLeaks controversy:
WikiLeaks: Why it Matters. Why it Doesn’t?
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
5:30-8:30 PM Pacific Standard Time
The purpose of this discussion is to take an objective look at the WikiLeaks controversy and its potential threats to the future of the free Internet. Notwithstanding the varied personal opinions of WikiLeaks and Julian Assange, this issue reaches beyond the actions of one person or one website. Precedents that will determine the very future of the Internet are being set as the world grapples with new social and information models. This is a serious issue worthy of serious discussion and debate.
Paul Jay, CEO and senior editor of The Real News Network will moderate the panel, which includes:
- Daniel Ellsberg, Former State and Defense Dept. Officialy prosecuted for releasing the Pentagon Papers
- Clay Shirky, Independent Internet Professional; Adjunct Professor, Interactive Telecommunications Program, New York University
- Neville Roy Singham, Founder and Chairman, ThoughtWorks
- Peter Thiel, President, Clarium Capital; Managing Partner, Founder’s Fund
- Jonathan Zittrain, Professor of Law and Professor of Computer Science, Harvard University; Co-founder, Berkman Center for Internet & Society
Please join us along with other executives from diverse industries and positions, all of whom will gather to listen and engage with these panelists who represent a rich cross section of the communities impacted by the WikiLeaks issue.
Attend in person!
Santa Clara Marriott: 2700 Mission College Boulevard · Santa Clara, California 95054 USA
A buffet dinner will be served.
To register to attend this event please visit the Churchill Club’s Website at : http://www.churchillclub.org/eventDetail.jsp?EVT_ID=892. There is a small charge for this event, however guests of ThoughtWorks may use a special discount, gtworks25, to receive the Churchill Club’s member rate.
View live-streamed event
The Real News Network: http://bit.ly/fdjoMr